I read something about Alfred Nobel recently that I haven't been able to stop thinking about.
The story goes that a newspaper mistakenly published his obituary while he was still alive. He got to read how the world would remember him.
Can you imagine?
Most of us don't get that opportunity.
But in a strange way, I feel like I have.
I've had three experiences in my life where things could have ended very differently. Three moments that have forced me, in one way or another, to understand that being here isn't something I get to take completely for granted.
And lately, I've realized I'm thinking less about what I want to accomplish and more about what I want to leave behind.
I'm building my legacy.
That sounds incredibly dramatic when I write it out. Like I should be commissioning a statue or naming a library after myself.
I am doing neither.
I'm talking about the little stuff.
How my kids will remember me.
Whether they knew, without question, that I showed up for them.
Whether another parent felt a little less alone because I fought for something, shared something, or said the thing everyone else was afraid to say.
Whether something in my community is a little better because I was here and cared enough to get involved.
Whether the people I love actually knew I loved them.
And yes, whether I spent enough time actually enjoying this ridiculous life instead of constantly trying to manage it.
I don't think legacy is about being important.
I think it's about leaving fingerprints.
On people. On places. On your family. On your community.
It's the things you teach your children that they'll someday teach theirs. It's the person who decides to speak up because they watched you do it first. It's making something easier for the person who comes after you, even if they never know your name.
Maybe that's what has changed for me.
I've spent a lot of my life surviving things. Fixing things. Fighting things. Getting through the next thing.
I don't want to just get through my life anymore.
I want to build something with it.
I want my children to inherit more than my stuff. I want them to inherit the absolute certainty that their mother loved fiercely, showed up loudly, screwed up plenty, laughed whenever she could, and tried like hell to leave things a little better than she found them.
I don't know what anyone would write about me if today were the end of the story.
But thankfully, today isn't.
So I get to keep writing it.
And I'm paying a lot more attention to what I want it to say.

Comments
Post a Comment